Moses Mountain & St Catherine Monastery
Availability: Sunday, Wednesday, and Friday
Adult Price: €25
Child: from 5-12 years €13
Up to 5 years: Free!
Pickup Time: 19:30 from the hotel
Return Time: Next day 13:30
Excursion Program Moses Mountain & St Catherine Monastery:
- Bus from hotel to Moses Mount
- Three hours of climbing to the top (2285 m above sea level)
- Climbing a stone staircase of 700 steps
- Watch the sunrise
- Tour the Monastery of St. Catherine
The Price Includes:
- Mountain Guide
- Entry ticket to the monastery
- English Speaking Guide
Extra Charge (Paid Upon your request):
- Entry to the Museum of Icons
- Blanket Rental
- Camel Rental for Climbing €10
Things You Should Take with You:
- Comfortable Clothes and Shoes
- Warm Clothes (Very cold at the top)
- Breakfast box (Order in advance at the hotel reception)
- Money for personal expense
Saint Catherine’s Monastery, officially the Sacred Autonomous Royal Monastery of Saint Katherine of the Holy and God-Trodden Mount Sinai, is an Eastern Orthodox monastery located on the Sinai Peninsula.
It lies at the mouth of a gorge at the foot of Mount Sinai, near the town of Saint Catherine, in Egypt.
How do you get to St Catherine Egypt?
Currently, taxis are the only way from Sharm or Dahab to Moses Mountain & St Catherine Monastery
There is no public bus or minibus.
MINIBUS – A minibus runs from St Katherine to El Tur, on the west coast of the Sinai, every day, leaving the town’s mosque at 6 am or 7 am.
A minibus also runs from El Tur to St Katherine, leaving El Tur around 4 pm.
How do you get to Moses Mountain & St Catherine Monastery?
By Tour Bus: Most people arrive at Saint Catherine’s Monastery by tour bus from either Sharm el-Sheikh or Dahab.
This is by far the easiest option, though you have to be prepared to visit as part of a big group.
Many tour bus trips also combine climbing Mount Sinai into the trip.
Moses Mountain & St Catherine Monastery | With Tomy
Know before you go
- The Monastery remains closed due to Covid reasons
- The breakfast box must be pre-ordered from the hotel and collected before the tour starts
- The camel trek is only available for the beginning of the tour to the 750 steps, then you must climb the steps and do the entire return trek on foot. The local partner does not recommend the camel trek.
- The tour duration will be 16-17 hours including pick up and drop off at Sharm El Sheikh
- A minimum of 2 persons is required to operate the shared tour, the product can be canceled or rescheduled if the minimum group size is not met
Read also: Special Trip to Moses Mountain and St Catherine Monastery
Why is Saint Catherine’s Monastery important?
The site also holds the world’s oldest continually operating library, with unique or scarce works, such as the Codex Sinaiticus and the Syriac Sinaiticus, as well as possibly the largest collection of early Christian icons, including the earliest known depiction of Jesus as Christ Pantocrator.
How old is Moses Mountain & St Catherine Monastery?
Founded in 527 by the Byzantine emperor Justinian I, the building of the monastery dates from 530 ce, when Justinian, after complaints of robber incursions from the hermit monks who had settled there, fortified the traditional site of the burning bush observed by Moses on the lower slopes of Mount Sinai.
If you visit Sharm El Sheikh, do not forget to pass