Ras Mohammed Nature Reserve in Egypt is at the southern extreme of the Sinai Peninsula, overlooking the Gulf of Suez on the west and the Gulf of Aqaba to the east.
Ras Mohammed Nature Reserve is a protected area and national park in the Sinai Peninsula in Egypt. It is situated at the southernmost tip of the Sinai Peninsula, where the Gulf of Suez and the Gulf of Aqaba meet. The reserve was established in 1983 to protect the area’s unique coral reefs, marine life, and terrestrial ecosystems.
The park covers an area of approximately 480 square kilometers, including both land and sea areas. It is home to a diverse range of flora and fauna, including over 220 species of coral and over 1,000 species of fish. The reserve also provides a habitat for various mammals, reptiles, and birds, such as the Nubian ibex, gazelles, foxes, and migratory birds.
Ras Mohammed Nature Reserve is a popular tourist destination, known for its beautiful beaches, crystal-clear waters, and world-class diving and snorkeling sites.
The park boasts over 20 dive sites, including the famous Shark Reef and Yolanda Reef, home to diverse marine life, such as sharks, rays, and colorful fish. The park also features several hiking trails and scenic viewpoints, such as the panoramic view from the top of Mount Sinai.
To protect the fragile ecosystems and wildlife in the area, the park has implemented strict regulations on activities such as fishing, diving, and camping.
Visitors are required to obtain a permit to enter the park and are expected to follow guidelines for responsible tourism, such as not littering, avoiding touching or disturbing wildlife, and respecting the natural environment. The park also conducts conservation and research programs to better understand and protect the unique ecosystems in the area.
In summary, Ras Mohammed Nature Reserve is a stunning natural area in Egypt, known for its diverse marine life, beautiful beaches, and scenic landscapes.
It is an important protected area that provides habitat for a variety of species and offers recreational opportunities for visitors while promoting sustainable tourism practices.
Read: Important Information about The Weather in Egypt
Read More: Egypt in Winter 2023 | 4 must-visit places
Tourists come to visit the protected Ras Mohammed Nature Reserve for a variety of reasons, including:
- Diving and Snorkeling: Ras Mohammed Nature Reserve is known for its world-class diving and snorkeling sites, which offer a unique opportunity to explore some of the most diverse and pristine coral reefs in the world. The park’s crystal-clear waters and abundance of marine life make it a popular destination for diving enthusiasts.
- Wildlife Viewing: The reserve is home to a variety of wildlife, including rare and endangered species such as the Nubian ibex and the green sea turtle. Visitors can hike or take guided tours to observe these animals in their natural habitat.
- Scenic Landscapes: Ras Mohammed is renowned for its stunning natural landscapes, which include rocky cliffs, sandy beaches, and panoramic views of the Red Sea. The park’s hiking trails and scenic viewpoints offer visitors an opportunity to immerse themselves in the region’s natural beauty.
- Cultural and Historical Sites: The park is home to several cultural and historical sites of interest, such as the Chapel of St. Catherine and the ruins of an ancient Egyptian temple. These sites offer a glimpse into the region’s rich history and cultural heritage.
- Outdoor Activities: In addition to diving and wildlife viewing, Ras Mohammed offers a range of outdoor activities such as windsurfing, kiteboarding, and beachcombing. The park’s diverse array of activities makes it a popular destination for families and adventure seekers alike.
Overall, tourists come to visit Ras Mohammed Nature Reserve to experience the region’s unique and diverse natural and cultural attractions. The park’s protected status ensures that visitors can enjoy these attractions in a sustainable and responsible manner, while also supporting conservation efforts to protect the park’s delicate ecosystems and wildlife.
discover Orange bay in Hurghada 2023 will be inside this digital report from Tomy tour press.
What is the reason for naming the Ras Mohammed Nature Reserve by this name?
The name “Ras Mohammed” comes from Arabic, and it means “Mohammed’s Headland”. The name is derived from a local Bedouin legend, which tells the story of a man named Mohammed who used to fish in the area.
According to the legend, Mohammed would throw his fishing nets from the rocky promontory that now forms the southern tip of the park, and would often catch large quantities of fish.
Over time, the area became known as “Ras Mohammed” in honor of Mohammed and his fishing exploits. The name stuck, and today it is used to refer to the entire area that encompasses the national park and the surrounding region. The name is also sometimes spelled as “Ras Muhammed” or “Ras Mohamed” in English.
It’s worth noting that Ras Mohammed has been an important site for fishing and marine resource extraction for centuries, and has been a hub for trade and commerce in the region.
Today, however, the park’s protected status ensures that the delicate marine ecosystems and wildlife in the area are preserved and protected for future generations to enjoy.
Read also: Special Trip to Moses Mountain and St Catherine Monastery
The Journey of the Kings of Ancient Egypt from Death to Immortality
About Our Trip
Ras Mohammed Nature Reserve | Book Now
Adult Price: €14
Child: from 5-12 years €7
Up to 5 years: Free!
Pickup Time: 08:00 from the hotel
Return Time: 13:00
- Pick up from the hotel
- Stop at the gate of Allah
- Wandering among the mangroves
- Geological crust
- Fracture of the Earth’s crust
- Swimming in the lake of desires
The Price Includes the following:
- Transportation from/to the hotel
- Entry ticket to Ras Mohamed
- English Speaking Guide
Extra Charge (Paid Upon your request):
- Photo and Video Materials made by the Photographer
- Snorkeling equipment (Mask €2, Fins €4, Thermal Suit €5)
- Extra Services
Things You Should Take with You:
- Comfortable clothes, Shoes
- Swimming suit
- Beach towel
Sharm el Sheik guide
We will know everything about the Sharm el Sheik guide in detail through this digital report from Tomytour Press.
Sharm El-Sheikh is a famous Egyptian holiday resort that boasts some of the world’s most immense wonders. Traditionally, it was part of Israeli territory before being brought back to Egypt in 1979. Despite being unpopulated for most of its heritage, Sharm El-Sheikh gained popularity due to its location.
This platform allows limited entry to the Gulf of Aqaba. Under the Israeli administration, the area started to develop as a popular tourist destination, and Egyptian attempts continued.
The town has recently become a hot tourist place for tourists from all over the globe. The distinctive biodiversity of the marine world raises the number of tourists to the region, transforming it into a popular tourist spot.
We know everything about the Sharm el Sheik guide in detail through these previous points and we hope you like it too much mate.
Reach out today with Tomytour, if you want to try a trip to Sharm el Sheik
Who Are We?
Tomy Tour Excursions specialists with over 20 years of experience.
We have tourist programs in all Egyptian cities such as Hurghada, Sharm El Sheikh, Marsa Alam, Dahab, Luxor, Aswan, Cairo, and Alexandria.
Reserve Your Activity & Pay Later